My previous post discussed the frustration of having to interview. For the most part, I feel I interview well. I may come on strong, but I think it’s because I am not shy. I don’t hesitate to answer questions and I try to come off knowledgable. Most of the time, I feel this is accurately conveyed. Fortunately, it was today.
Today, I interviewed for a 5th grade position about an hour away. I was hesitant about the location but figured interviewing couldn’t hurt. Practice makes perfect and it’s important to be open-minded. At the very least, maybe I would make new connections that could lead me to where I am meant to be.
While driving home from the interview, I received a phone call asking for permission to contact references. Of course this was a good sign. The principal did not hesitate to call all three references and got back to me within an hour or so. As you have probably assumed while reading this, I was offered the job. Despite my gut instinct, I asked for time to discuss this over with my husband and get back to her which she had no problem doing.
I rarely ask for opinions on Facebook. However, I put it out there to get feedback on if an hour drive is a crazy commute. I think it’s good to have different opinions and perspectives (in all areas of life) as it allows you to see things differently. It pushes you to evaluate your priorities and has you question how best to represent yourself and your morals.
Driving an hour there and an hour back adds up quickly. However, I would get to have my own classroom and do something I’m truly passionate about. I’m eager to perform well and learn as much as I can – and I could do that here. But the man, who would be my co-teacher, specifically said he is hoping to find someone who will be here and commit to this family of teachers.
The most popular response on Facebook suggested that I take the job, and if something better comes along to turn it down. Although it is true this is just business and this happens a log, it makes me uncomfortable. I don’t want to burn any bridges and I don’t want to screw anyone over. I would hate to leave them scrambling at the last minute to fill the position. At the same time, it’s a job – I could love it. It would help bring in money so we can finally have the funds to adopt a child of our own. Maybe it won’t be too bad if I find podcasts and music and use that time to decompress. However, in the winters the roads are horrible…. and this mental debate goes on and on and on and on….
I think at the end of the day, when making a decision like this, you have to go with your gut instinct. Despite needing the money, I think it would be unfair to take the job. I can’t commit to being apart of the community long-term as I assume after a year or so that drive would eat at me. I would much rather have a job close by and I think I need to have faith that it will all work out how it’s supposed to.
For me, it’s important I walk away feeling good about how I handled the situation. Hopefully, the principal will appreciate my honesty and maybe even pass my name on to someone in my area. I need to just trust that it happens for a reason, and the job I’m meant to be in will fall in my lap – even if the school year is inching closer and closer. My priority is being with my family, holding up a good reputation, and finding a job that I want to be in for years to come. Therefore, I think I have concluded this isn’t the best fit and I will need to respectfully decline the offer.
Silver lining: At least I’m in a position to turn down an offer. At least I have an offer. At least I had an interview and hopefully there are more to follow.